Re: ATA_CAM for extradummies

From: Diego Depaoli <trebestie_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 00:29:57 +0100
On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 5:36 AM, b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
>>> Man, excuse me, but if you are "extradummy" - don't touch kernel
>>> options. Especially experimental, especially without understanding.
>>Sorry for bother you, I thought testers were welcome, expecially on -current.
>
> I think mav_at_  welcomes feedback, but he is warning you for your own
> good, so that you will not lose time or become frustrated
> unnecessarily.  Already it seems that your note has highlighted one
> problem, and that some good will come of it.
That would be 'the right way'.

>>As final note... reading 3 different DVD with mplayer or mencoder I
>>don't get this issue, but that other one
>>READ(10). CDB: 28 0 0 8 bf 60 0 0 1 0
>>CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
>>(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
>>(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:11,5
>>(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): L-EC uncorrectable error
>>(cd0:ata1:0:0:0): Retrying Command (per Sense Data)
>>within 1 or 2 minutes.
>
> It looks like the DVD has some media errors, and that the software,
> and/or the drive's firmware, is failing to read part of it.  Can you
> read the disk using another OS?
Yes, at least one of these worked well on Windows
> Is there any visible damage to the
> DVD?
Maybe
>  Does the DVD have copy protection?
I think so.
I do not use often optical disks, so my reports could be inaccurate,
but every time I try to read/burn a CD or DVD under FreeBSD I run into
some trouble.
Bugged firmwares, bugged readers, poor quality disks... maybe... but
that is on the market.

Cheers
--
Diego Depaoli