Re: File system blocks alignment

From: James R. Van Artsdalen <james-freebsd-current_at_jrv.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:26:01 -0600
Alexander Motin wrote:
> As we have now mechanism for reporting stripe size and offset for any
> partition to user-level, it should be easy to make disk partitioning and
> file system creation tools to use it automatically.

Currently all operating systems I know of allocate 128 partition slot
into GPT by default, or 32 blocks.  With the dummy MBR and GPT header
added this means that the first partition starts on block 34...

If FreeBSD is changed to allocate only 120 GPT partition slots by
default then the first partition would begin at block 32.