Re: Xorg upgrade disaster: Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

From: Marcin Cieslak <saper_at_system.pl>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 21:49:00 +0100
O. Hartmann wrote:
> After upgrading one of my FreeBSD 8.0-CUR/amd64 boxes to new xorg-7.4
> and having done hurting recompiling nearly everything/package twice now
> firefox3 still doesn't work properly and hits me when starting with this
> error message:
>
> Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

Looks like libraries (Xext among others) already support the XGE extension:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg/36483

but the current the 1.5 Xorg server does not support and the 1.6 release
is behind schedule a bit:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Njg4OA

I keep getting this error after upgrade of X today but everything works
as usual.

> Then firefox3 freezes forever, showing something like the background or
> pixel remnants of windows/picograms moving over its window.

The firefox problem is unrelated I think to the message above (as
demonstrated later in the thred)

--Marcin