GNU readline (was Re: Alternatives to gcc)

From: Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip_at_tutopia.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 09:47:28 -0800 (PST)
(sorry that my mailer gives so much trouble)

--- On Mon, 2/2/09, Chet Ramey <chet.ramey_at_case.edu> wrote:

> > It all depends on what features people choose to use in GNU's
> > readline that makes it compatible or not with libedit.
>
> ...which means that it's not a drop-in readline replacement.  And
> here we are -- back where we started.

We don't need a drop in replacement, we need a replacement that works well enough for the base system.

Like in the other BSDs the ports/packaging system can continue carrying GNU readline.

Why go into all this trouble? GNU readline is part of an evil plot:

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/why-not-lgpl.html

Pedro.