Re: GEOM_PART: a quick update on logical partitions

From: Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt_at_mac.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 13:50:13 -0800
On Feb 2, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Joćo Barros wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Dimitry Andric <dimitry_at_andric.com>
> wrote:
>> On 2009-02-02 20:16, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
>>> In case people are wondering: I'm working on proper support for
>>> logical partitions. This should also allow us to create and
>>> modify them. Of course when you add or remove a partition, the
>>> index changes and consequently the device name. I still need
>>> to find a good solution for that. Currently I'm thinking that
>>> we should create the device special file that contains the
>>> sector offset (which is the one constant) and create compatibility
>
> This approach assumes you'll only add/remove partitions, not move
> and/or resize them.
> Let's go big and assume all possibilities.

Resizing is no problem but moving is, yes.

With logical partitions you won't be able to move while
the partition is mounted, something that you can support
for other partitioning schemes. The question is:
Is it acceptable to have limited support for moving
logical partitions?

I think it is. They're a kluge to begin with...

--
Marcel Moolenaar
xcllnt_at_mac.com