Re: Xorg upgrade desaster: Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

From: cwt <marshc187_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 10:13:04 +0100
Ulrich Spörlein wrote:
> On Fri, 30.01.2009 at 23:19:41 +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
>
>> After upgrading one of my FreeBSD 8.0-CUR/amd64 boxes to new xorg-7.4
>> and having done hurting recompiling nearly everything/package twice now
>> firefox3 still doesn't work properly and hits me when starting with this
>> error message:
>>
>> Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
>>
>> Then firefox3 freezes forever, showing something like the background or
>> pixel remnants of windows/picograms moving over its window.
>>

> This should be unrelated to Xorg 7.4, as it happens to my 7.1 box,
> running Xorg 7.3 and the latest firefox3. Please try backing down
> firefox3 or some other related libraries that were updated in the last
> month (when this started to show up)
>
> Cheers,
> Ulrich Spörlein

hey, sorry to barge in, but have you ppl by any chance seen a related
post about this?
i saw this (am still getting it) after 7.4 upgrade, but when someone
else reported it, the person who i think committed xorg updates i
believe said this warning is harmless and only showing because some new
functionality in the lib is not yet being used, something to that effect?

i think he explained that he just overlooked disabling the warning.

are you aware of this or are you having stability problems still? my
system spits this warning, but just noise, and all working ok otherwise.
if you are aware of the post, but still having problems, then disregard
this, and sorry if i missed something