Re: iwi broken? reproducible crash :(

From: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi_at_bsd.hu>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2009 07:44:19 +0100
On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:03:08PM -0500, L Campbell wrote:
> Since you're offering -- back on 7.x I had all kinds of problem with
> the adapter: I had to double the send/recvbuf_max and had to disable
> bgscan, otherwise the connection would die after ~6-12 hours,
> depending on usage. Did you ever have similar issues, or is something
> wonky with my machine?

Well, my experience varied with time and also with the AP used. I had no
real problems with a Linksys WRT54G with original firmware v2.2. And
this in spite of the fact that there are walls made of concrete in this
flat. By contrast, I *did* have major problems with an SMC AP, but that
may have just as well been the AP, because a ral(4) based card also made
a poor showing there (even under windows in another machine). I most
certainly did not have to change the send/recvbuf_max. I did not recall
real issues with bgscan either (although I tried to turn it off with the
SMC AP, but that did not help). However, I never tried roaming in any
configuration, and there never were more APs working at the same time.
Also, I use WPA2 and configured the card to very specifically scan for,
and associate with, only the one AP that I was using, so scanning may not
have been such a bother.

> I'll see if I can't grab some more hardware to test with to rule out
> hardware failure or a broken install on my part.

I would have also suggested wlandebug. Also, if you use wpa_supplicant,
you can use the -d switch to get debug output. To be honest, I did not try
enabling the debugging under iwi, so have no experience if it works.
Will try it just for kicks, and report back if it also panics for me.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Budapest