Re: HEADSUP usb2/usb4bsd to become default in GENERIC

From: Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:00:04 -0800
Gavin Atkinson wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-02-07 at 21:21 -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>> * Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_FreeBSD.org> [090206 01:50] wrote:
>>> Wasn't there a plan to rename usb2 devices to match oldusb names (where
>>> applicable) once oldusb had been killed? I don't see it in the list.
>> Probably, although coming from the other side as a user I find it pretty
>> annoying when there's somewhat gratuitous changes to the kernel config
>> files that I don't really care about that cause my kernels to break.
>
> The vast majority of our users do not run -CURRENT, and so haven't had
> to change config files yet.
>
> One day, those users will be migrating from 7.x to 8.x, and shouldn't
> need to change their kernel config for a "somewhat gratuitous change".
>
> Your argument only works if people had already had to change their
> config files once (usb -> usb2), and that by renaming these back they
> will have to change their kernel config back.  Only people running
> -CURRENT will end up having to do this twice (or indeed at all) if the
> rename takes place, end users will not need to do it at all.

That's exactly my point. Number of people running -CURRENT is much less
than total number of people running FreeBSD. Therefore, I believe we
should try to avoid introducing any superfluous changes upon those
users. Not even to mention large body of USB-related documentation that
will need to be altered to match the new USB world order.

Users running -CURRENT should be prepared to make changes now and then,
it's part of the game. I don't POLA is really applicable to them.

-Maxim