Re: UFS Witness LoR + 5 other LoRs

From: Doug Barton <dougb_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:45:37 -0800
John Baldwin wrote:
> On Monday 09 February 2009 4:59:25 pm Doug Barton wrote:
>> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>>> Several of these are widely reported, and harmless
>> Given that we're coming closer and closer to the time when 8.x will be
>> in pre-release slush, shouldn't at least some of these get fixed
>> soonish? If for no other reason than to make it easier to detect real
>> problems when they arise.
>
> Most of these LORs have been present in the tree since at least the unified
> buffer-cache work back in FreeBSD 2.x.  We just did not have the tools to
> report them prior to 8.x.

I'm not saying that I think the ones that are oft-reported are
harmful. I'm saying that they ought to be fixed so that when harmful
ones do show up it's easier to spot them.

FWIW, I had an experience similar to the OP. I have several LORs that
show up every time I boot which I try to ignore. However, I recently
had a problem with my current laptop NFS mounting my 6-stable file
server. There was a LOR in there somewhere, but I couldn't tell if it
was one of the "usual" ones, or if it was relevant. As we get closer
to the 8-release slushie and start asking people to do serious
debugging this issue is going to make that more difficult.

Doug