Re: CFT: Graphics support for /boot/loader

From: Oliver Brandmueller <ob_at_e-Gitt.NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:02:51 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 01:00:58PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> It probably makes sense to let the boot loader set up
> graphics mode (including VESA support), so it is already
> active when the kernel comes up.  Then the kernel will
> only have to deal with the frame buffer, not with the BIOS.
> That will work on both i386 and amd64 platforms.  The only
> drawback is that the mode cannot be changed by the kernel
> once it is running, i.e. you have to stay in that mode
> till reboot.

Theoretically spoken, would this include the chance of a rotated
display? I'm currently using 2 widescreens, but rotated (else it would
just be too wide ;-)). Using X this is fine, but booting and probably
doing things like fixing X after the Xorg upgrade (which worked more or
less painless for me) is a pain when you have to turn your head 90° to
the side ;-)

This is just a (now not anymore too) silent wish, not exactly a feature
request, as I think this is an edge case.

Greetings,
		Olli

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |