Re: CFT: Graphics support for /boot/loader

From: Olivier SMEDTS <olivier_at_gid0.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:28:44 +0100
2009/2/11 Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy_at_optushome.com.au>:
> On 2009-Feb-08 14:35:02 +0100, Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
>>The actual menu contents are in the beastie.4th file, just
>>like for the old text menu.  So, yes, you'd need to speak
>>FORTH in order to change that.
>
> Well, you need the ability to read the existing FORTH code and
> extrapolate a bit.  You don't need to be a FORTH guru.
>
>>Would there be strong resistance if I tried to replace FICL
>>with something else that is not as brain-knotting as FORTH?
>
> I disagree that FORTH is brain-knotting.  As a small, general-
> purpose language that is close to the hardware, I don't think
> you can do much better.  What are you proposing as a replacement?
>
>>Just to name an example, I once wrote a bourne-shell-like
>>parser that would not be difficult to embed.
>
> /boot/loader isn't just a matter of parsing an rc.conf style
> config file.  It needs the ability to talk to disk and physical
> memory and the whole thing needs to be fairly small.
>
> If you look at the installed base of computers, FORTH is
> probably the most popular language for bootloaders.

Yes, that must be the way to go.
And if you look at the installed base of computers, Windows is
probably the most popular operating system. Oh, wait...

Sorry, that was just for the joke ;)
Too much slashdot reading today...

Cheers

--
Olivier Smedts                                                 _
                                        ASCII ribbon campaign ( )

  "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
  ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
  et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."