Re: weeding out c++ keywords from sys/sys

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 12:40:05 +0200
on 14/02/2009 01:15 Andrew Reilly said the following:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 08:25:31PM +0200, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> Rationale:
>> There are people who write FreeBSD drivers in C++,
>
> There are?  I can't find any in /usr/src/sys by any of the usual
> suffixes.  Whatever would you want to do that for, anyway?  That
> would bring a whole extra language runtime support library into the
> kernel, and complicate the boot process with constructors and
> what-not.
>
> Seems like a backwards step, to me.

Bait not taken, sorry :-) [*]

> Not that this should stop you from de-keywording the include
> files, if that takes your fancy, but permuting a variable
> "class" into "clazz" is a bit gruesome, imo.  Why not just comment
> the argument name out altogether?  It's not strictly needed in
> the prototype.

I am not particularly fond of "clazz" myself, but somehow it was the
first thing that came to my mind and I didn't give it any further thought.
So this was just an example, I am all ears for good suggestions like the
the ones from you and Joseph.

[*] I have some examples and arguments but I'd prefer to send them in
private or in other thread. I think we've seen quite a few flames on the
topic of C++ and kernel.

--
Andriy Gapon