Re: USB2 and USB mice

From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus_at_marcuscom.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 01:27:58 -0500
On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 17:18 +1100, Andrew Reilly wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 09:56:03PM -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > Hal doesn't yet work with usb2.  You will need to statically configure
> > your input devices in xorg.conf until support is added.
>
> It seems that hal seems to be a vitally important part of most desktop systems,
> now.  What's the best source of documentation on both the external whys and
> wherefores and the day-to-day care and feeding?

The FreeBSD GNOME Team maintains a user-level hal FAQ at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html .  We don't have any
FreeBSD-specific development docs.  However, the hal spec at
http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html is a good
starting point.

> Also, is there a FreeBSD hald-meister, whos job it is to ensure that hal
> continues to reflect up-to-date FreeBSD capabilities and mechanisms?

That's me.  I'd really appreciate help as I don't have all of the
requisite hardware or expertise in all of the subsystems.  For instance,
we're completely lacking SD/MMC, firewire, and printer functionality.
Some of this has been posted on FreeBSD's idea page for some time.

I asked Hans to add some additional functions to libusb20 to aid in hal
porting, and he did quite quickly.  I'm going to start working on the
port.  I will definitely have something by next week.

Joe