Re: HEADS UP: IFF_NEEDSGIANT consumers to be disabled, removed

From: Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:29:37 +0100
Hi Bruce,

* Bruce Simpson <bms_at_incunabulum.net> wrote:
>    Maksim seems to be talking about the use case where folk are actually
> doing straight serial over RFCOMM and need to tie it down to a known tty,
> though.

Ah, that's indeed something I didn't know. Well, in that case we still
need pseudo-terminals.

>    Surely there must be a way to tie rfcomm_sppd down to a specific pts
> number, or failing that, teach it to report the pts which it got
> allocated?

Well, with MPSAFE TTY the only way pseudo-terminals should be allocated,
is by calling posix_openpt(). The device name is determined by a simple
unrhdr (alloc_unr(9)). There is no actual way to influence the naming,
so I guess we should make rfcomm_sppd just use a random device name. We
could maybe solve this by creating a symlink to the TTY?

--
 Ed Schouten <ed_at_80386.nl>
 WWW: http://80386.nl/