Re: CFR: usb switchover patches

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 21:17:35 -0700 (MST)
In message: <20090220033740.GA903_at_citylink.fud.org.nz>
            Andrew Thompson <thompsa_at_freebsd.org> writes:
: Hi,
:
:
: I have put together a proposed set of changes for moving USB2 to its
: permanent location. The layout has some differences to how it is right
: now so I am looking for feedback.
:
: The changeover requires that the old usb stack be available until 8.0 is
: branched and moves it from sys/dev/usb to sys/legacy/dev/usb. The reason
: for this location is to reduce the changes in #includes (using -I
: compiler hacks). The patch doesnt show userland changes required for
: usbdevs and friends but they will be done.
:
: Some ports will break. Any that exist solely for the old usb stack can
: be marked broken (like udesc_dump). I dont know that the fallout will be
: like for the others, maybe portmgr would be interested in doing a build
: test.
:
: The change roughly goes
:
:  svn move sys/dev/usb -> sys/legacy/dev/usb
:  svn move sys/dev/usb2 -> sys/dev/usb (with fixups, see below)
:
:
: The patch for the build system can be viewed here,
: http://people.freebsd.org/~thompsa/usb_layout/usb_xover.diff
:
: Now the changes... For starters the '2' will be removed from the
: filenames but furthermore I want to flatten dev/usb2/core and
: dev/usb2/include into just dev/usb, keeping the peripheral drivers in
: their subdirs. Its hard to show with a diff so simply browse the layout
: here, http://people.freebsd.org/~thompsa/usb_layout/dev/
:
: Please send any minor/nitpick changes to me privately, keeping any list
: replies to the overall changes.

While I might want to nitpick here, I'm going to refrain from doing so
and just say "Close enough for my tastes, please go ahead."

I could argue that there are a number of inconsistencies with historic
practice that this (or the original usb2 commit) introduces, we
shouldn't hold up this commit on those grounds.  Instead, we should
get experience with this layout and look to socialize ideas for a
reorg post 8.0 that is more comprehensive in nature.  This will give
people plenty of time to think about it, and a chance for people with
competing ideas to flesh them out.

Warner