Re: Annoyance with recent parallelism in rc.d

From: Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 07:57:23 -0800
On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 5:45 AM, Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 12:28:20AM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>>> I just updated my world to a recent snapshot (a build from last week)
>>> and I'm noting some parallelism / backgrounding which is really
>>> causing issues with my NIC and NFS mounts. I had to hit CTRL-D 5 times
>>> in order to get the system to come up because it couldn't resolve my
>>> NFS server's hostname, because the NIC wasn't up and going yet (as it
>>> uses the DHCP client in background mode due to the new default).
>>>
>>> Now I realize that this all ties back into the issue with the NIC
>>> (which I've approached Pyun about, and which I appreciate his help is
>>> solving issues with this buggy chipset), but is there really a need
>>
>> Would you try attached patch? I don't like the patch but it may
>> reduce number of link state change message generated by dhclient.
>>
>>> for  parallelism at startup rc.d it can't properly detect dependencies
>>> with some cases like NFS mounts?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Garrett
>
> Sorry.. got caught up with work work again and forgot about this email.
>
> I'll try this patch out after debugging another issue and get back to
> you within the hour.
>
> Thanks!
> -Garrett

    Both the patch and the workaround fixed my problems, but
unfortunately the patch alone doesn't fix the problem so my guess is
what needs to happen is the dhcp_client needs to be dependent of all
of the other network services. Do we have something like an rc.network
setup properly for this?
Thanks,
-Garrett