Re: Annoying whitenoise sound coming from snd_hda enabled chipset

From: Ben Kaduk <minimarmot_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:45:25 -0500
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Alexander Motin <mav_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> Ben Kaduk wrote:

>>> It's hard to be sure, since I'm not sure that I could describe what I
>>> hear any better than Garret did, but I think I'm seeing the same sort
>>> of thing on my work desktop.  I'll try setting unneeded volumes to
>>> zero the next time I'm in, and see if that helps.
>>>
>>> dmesg and pciconf are available here:
>>> http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb.mit.edu/user/kaduk/freebsd/periphrasis/
>>
>> I'm still getting the noise, even with these mixer settings:
>> periphrasis# mixer
>> Mixer vol      is currently set to  25:25
>> Mixer pcm      is currently set to  25:25
>> Mixer speaker  is currently set to   0:0
>> Mixer mix      is currently set to   0:0
>> Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
>> Mixer monitor  is currently set to   0:0
>> Recording source:
>
> You have set vol and pcm to 25. They are measured not in percents now, there
> are a logarithmic scales inside codec, so, depending on model, 25 may mean
> something like -30dB, when you will be able to hear codec's native noise
> margin, which can quite high cheap codecs and cheap boards.
>
> Set your mixer to 80-100 and reduce volume on you speakers/amplifier.

Sadly, I am using headphones, with no additional amplification.

I think I was using the same or similar mixer settings in the old world order,
with the same loudness at my ear.  I would be surprised if the
change to logarithmic scale is solely responsible for this noise, but it
is plausible ...

-Ben Kaduk