Re: Annoying whitenoise sound coming from snd_hda enabled chipset

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:57:27 +0200
Yoshihiro Ota wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 13:56:35 -0800
> Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Oops, I had been blocking on updating from 7 to current because of
>>> a bounce zone bug that was causing the box to panic, and I didn't
>>> update the dmesg after I did finally upgrade.
>>>
>>> Should be updated, now.
>>>
>>> Sorry about that,
>>>
>>> Ben Kaduk
>>     Unfortunately I must use mix though or line-in doesn't function
>> from my console peripherals. It does appear to be the culprit
>> unfortunately.
>>     So I suppose I have to live with this issue until my SB Audigy
>> card comes :(? This is something that should be noted in the driver
>> manpage or you'll get more annoyed folks with support emails like this
>> one ><...
>> Thanks,
>> -Garrett
>
> I think I started seeing similar issues.
> When I boot 8-CURRENT, it makes some low yet very silent noise, too.
>
> In my case, with hdac or pcm device, 8-CURRENT fails to boot very requentry.
> It fails to prove a device and doesn't proceed farthar than that point.
> Now it only boots once in 5 or 10 reboots.
>
> When it boots, it prints lots of following messages.
>
> hdac0: HDA Codec #0: Conexant CX20549 (Venice)
> hdac0: unable to allocate widgets!
> hdac0: unable to allocate widgets!
> hdac0: unable to allocate widgets!
> hdac0: unable to allocate widgets!
> hdac0: unable to allocate widgets!
> hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
> hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
> hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
> hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
> hdac0: hdac_command_send_internal: TIMEOUT numcmd=1, sent=1, received=0
>
> I think this started happening about a week ago or so, sometime between
> 13 and 16th.

The only significant change last time was enabling MSI by default. But I
don't think it should lead to such errors. I have tried even operation
completely without interrupts working and there is not such errors. Can
you send me complete verbose dmesg with the problem and `pciconf -lvc`
output?

Also you may try to disable MSI by setting 'hint.hdac.0.msi=0' hint.

--
Alexander Motin