Re: SATA disks suddenly stop working

From: Alexander Motin <mav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:56:38 +0200
Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> I've been having lots of problems with SATA drives attached to higher
> port numbers, namely ata5 and ata6.
>
> I was installing Linux under qemu today and it had been running for
> several hours and had installed multi-gigabytes of data when qemu
> just stopped.
>
> I noticed that all I/O to the disk had ceased.
>
> Doing "atacontrol reinit" on the port (ata5) resulted in a message
> that the device was not configured, which was patently false since
> qemu had just been merrily writing to it.
>
> This with a kernel made from sources updated today at about 2 PM (GMT+1).
>
> I've also seen problems with a disk attached to ata6.  It just sort
> of disappears after a while.
>
> Disks attached to ata2, ata3 and ata4 don't exhibit any problems.

You have told much and same time gave nothing that can be used.

What controller do you have? What drives on what channels? Is there any
kernel messages about the problem? Have you tried to enable verbose
messages to get additional details?

Reinit could return ENXIO if it already was in progress. Disappearing
drives are also can be related to that reinit. Can't it be just a real
hardware problem?

--
Alexander Motin