Re: Fatal trap 18 on Current 1386 since Saturday 21 Feb 2009

From: Manfred Antar <null_at_pozo.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:07:58 -0800
At 07:36 2/25/2009, Gavin Atkinson wrote:
>On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 07:08 -0800, Manfred Antar wrote:
>> At 06:58 2/25/2009, you wrote:
>> >[ taken off list for now ]

>> >Cool, thanks for that.  Can you narrow down when the breakage started?
>> >You said that "kernels from the 14th don't work", when was the last
>> >known-working kernel?
>> >
>> >There are only two commits on the 14th that relate to ATA, and I can't
>> >see how either of them would cause this problem so I'm wondering if it's
>> >a commit from before then.  If you have time, it might be worth
>> >narrowing down a date range, so for example if you know a kernel from
>> >the 1st worked and 14th doesn't, try updating to sources from the 7th
>> >and test, etc.
>> >
>> >Thanks,
>> >
>> >Gavin
>>
>> OK the last kernel that worked for me was, FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Feb 21 07:55:31 PST 2009
>> Usually I do cvsup , then build new kernel, so it was sometime after that.
>> I have to go to work now, when I get home I can start pinning it down. I'll let you know when the breakage occurs.
>> Usually a build a new kernel every day,so it might of been sunday.I'll know more tonight.
>
>My suspicion is that it is this commit:
>
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1637857+0+archive/2009/svn-src-all/20090222.svn-src-all
>
>Might be worthwhile trying the source from just before, and just after
>it and seeing if that is the cause.
>
>Gavin

Yes that's it I put:

/sys/dev/ata/ata-all.c
/sys/dev/ata/ata-all.h
/sys/dev/ata/ata-pci.h
/sys/dev/ata/ata-sata.c
/sys/dev/ata/chipsets/ata-promise.c

from before the changes on the 21st in current /sys and kernel builds and boots fine
My original date of the 14th was wrong, I looked at the calendar thought it was the 14th
but actually uname -a of the last working kernel was the 21st 7am.

Manfred.

||      null_at_pozo.com           ||
||      Ph. (415) 681-6235      ||