Re: tomcat & mouse problems

From: Tom Evans <tevans.uk_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 09:27:32 +0000
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 20:45 -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:

> Julian Stecklina wrote:
> > Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_telenix.org> writes:
> >
> >> Tell me, I haven't followed much of the history about Xfree86 the last few years
> >> (far more concerned with serious health problems), do you know why there aren't
> >> any Xfree86 ports in our ports anymore?  I checked, they ARE releasing new
> >> software, it works, it actually builds far, far faster/easier, howcome our ports
> >> are ignoring Xfree86 in favor of Xorg?  Not being fascetious here, I really
> >> don't know.  I'm thinking I would like to experiment to see if the Xfree86 stuff
> >> works for my mouse better, but I would really rather use our ports, than getting
> >> a release directly from XFree86 (I don't think they even have FreeBSD binaries
> >> anymore).
> >
> > I guess since the license fight that caused the fork most consider
> > XFree86 obsolete. It is said that most development takes place in X.org
> > at the moment.
> >
> > Regards,
>
> That can't possibly be the *entire* reason for the disappearance of all of the
> XFree86 ports, is it?  Even the device ports (the ones with Xfree86 still in the
> naming of the ports) has no Xfree86 code in it anymore.  I would be astonished
> if that were really true ... because I downloaded the code from there about 3
> months back, and was astonished that it built without one single glitch, needing
> only one change (to make it go to the directory I wanted it to).  Not one
> problem in building, a classic "trivial" build, it seemed to work fine also, and
> it built SO much faster and simpler.  It can't just have been erased due to
> someone's prejudice, could it?

No, the were lots of other serious issues that annoyed 90% of the
XFree86 developers, see [1], [2]. The license issue was just the straw
that broke the camel's back. The ports named 'xf86-*' have nothing to do
with XFree86; they are solely xorg drivers.

> Damn, that would be disappointing, if it were true.  Luckily, it's builds so
> trivially, it doesn['t even need a port, really.  As long as it hasn't changed
> greatly from 90 days ago ...
>
> However, the reason I got onto this was because of my mouse's jerkiness, and
> since I changed the my scheduler from SCHED_ULE to SCHED_4BSD, that part's
> improved also, so I have no longer got any huge reason to push this anymore.
> Things are now working so well, I think I'll disappear now ...

That's fair enough, but literally no-one uses XFree86 any more. At all.
So if you have weird interaction with your mouse on FreeBSD in XFree86,
virtually no people will have a comparable system, or knowledge of
issues..

Cheers

Tom

[1] http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/forum/2003-March/001997.html