Re: RFC: ELF branding. looking to a ".note.ABI-tag" section

From: Pedro F. Giffuni <giffunip_at_tutopia.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 09:38:35 -0800 (PST)
Hi;

As the author of kern/118473 I think that ELF notes for brand-ELFing is a useless non standard hack. I do understand that we want to teach our linuxulator about GNU ELF notes, but why would we want to use them for FreeBSD binaries?

If you follow the posting on the lists by John Polstra and ELF spec you will find we don't need ELF notes. There is also a thread in some binutils list that made me conclude the reason they chose for not using the standard way was "NIH".

Pedro.