Re: RFC: ELF branding. looking to a '.note.ABI-tag' section

From: <giffunip_at_tutopia.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 20:21:32 +0000

On Mar Ene  6 14:59 , Chagin Dmitry  sent:

>On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 09:38:35AM -0800, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>> Hi;
>>
>> As the author of kern/118473 I think that ELF notes for brand-ELFing is a
useless non standard hack. I do understand that we want to teach our linuxulator
about GNU ELF notes, but why would we want to use them for FreeBSD binaries?

>> If you follow the posting on the lists by John Polstra and ELF spec you will
find we don't need ELF notes. There is also a thread in some binutils list that
made me conclude the reason they chose for not using the standard way was "NIH".

>> Pedro.
>>

>Hi, I don't think so. We already use this for native binaries.
>
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/kern/imgact_elf.c.diff\?
r1=1.181;r2=1.182

Aha .. The ELF standard doesn't include the OS_version so using notes for that
makes sense, however for the ABI the standard has always been EI_ABI field.

http://www.sco.com/developers/gabi/latest/ch4.eheader.html#osabi

Please check this interesting link:

http://people.freebsd.org/~obrien/ei_osabi-binutils.mbox

Pedro.