RE: HEADSUP: arp-v2 has been committed

From: Gerald Pfeifer <gerald_at_pfeifer.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 10:27:29 +0100 (CET)
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Li, Qing wrote:
> I don't think we can provide binary compatibility without putting
> back RTF_LLINFO exactly as it was. My preference is to continue down
> the new path without RTF_LLINFO.

So, you are saying that applications built on FreeBSD 7 or earlier
that use RTF_LLINFO will no longer work properly on FreeBSD 8 after
your change?

Ignoring everything else, that would be a killer and the one reason
to definitely change the current situation.  Otherwise, ISVs will need
two builds, one for FreeBSD 7 and earlier and one for FreeBSD 8, and
believe me, that is bad, bad, bad.  Or rather: unlikely.  (GNU/Linux
distributions do provide this level of compatibility.)

> We still have some time before the 8.0 release. It's straightforward
> for me to retain some of the RTF_LLINFO support in the new kernel if
> and when the situation becomes necessary.

Sounds like that is the case?

> Since the affected ports now have the conditional code around
> RTF_LLINFO, the updates would allow these ports to compile in
> both -current and in the previous releases.

emulators/wine still is broken, and upstream Wine has not accepted
the patch yet.  I believe one reason likely is the above, and the
fact that this may break commercial builds of Wine.

How are you going to address this?

Gerald
--
Gerald (Jerry) Pfeifer   gerald_at_pfeifer.com   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/