Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?)

From: Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen_at_math.missouri.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:52:07 -0600
Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

> [...]

I also do quite a bit of numerical work.  For me a 3% performance gain
is not that much, and really becomes negligible compared to other issues.

I have written some software that, a year ago, ran twice as fast under
Fedora Linux than it did under FreeBSD.  Now FreeBSD has completely
caught up!  And I didn't change the software itself in any substantial
manner.  My guess is that FreeBSD has improved its cache
management/threading management considerably (because my programs (a)
use large amounts of data and (b) are threaded).

So, for me, a big difference is 2 to 1.  A factor of 3% is definitely
something dependent on the "position of the moon" as Pedro put it so
eloquently.

Stephen