Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?

From: Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken_at_mthelicon.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 16:48:12 -0000
----- Original Message -----
From: "David O'Brien" <obrien_at_freebsd.org>
To: "Svein Skogen (List Mail Account)" <svein-listmail_at_stillbilde.net>
Cc: <freebsd-current_at_freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2009 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?

> On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:23:24AM +0100, Svein Skogen (List Mail Account)
> wrote:
>> Christoph Mallon wrote:
>> >
>> > Number crunching has a totally different execution profile than basic
>> > operating system services. Gains in one area cannot simply be
>> > transferred to the other.
>>
>> Would it be possible, as a "workaround" to have "system-CC" and
>> "ports-CC" defined in make.conf, making one CC the compiler for /usr/src
>> and another for ports, or would this just create debugging nightmares?
>
> Why do you think you don't have this today?
>
> Install /usr/ports/lang/gcc/gcc43.  It lives nicely beside the base
> compiler.  Anytime you want to use it - set 'CC' to 'gcc43'.

    I know this is a different issue, and being hashed in another thread,
but this is exactly what I did. However, with an older version of binutils
installed, I didnt get the advantage of being able to use SSE4.1 on my
machine. I made from the sources binutils, but it was a real pain to get the
/usr/ports/lang/gcc/gcc43 port to pick up the presence of the newer version
of binutils. I had to make simlinks for various directories and every time
they changed the port it would klobber the links. It became ickey!

Peg