Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?)

From: Peter Ross <Peter.Ross_at_alumni.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:15:42 +1100
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009, Vincent Hoffman wrote:

> Peter Ross wrote:
> >
> > AFAIK you _need_ a C compiler to keep your system secure, to apply
> > security patches.
> >
> > E.g. http://security.freebsd.org/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-09:02.openssl.asc
> >
> > ..
> > make obj && make depend && make && make install
> >

> Or more recently,
> freebsd-update fetch && freebsd-update install
>
> its really not needed if you are just following -RELEASE except of
> course for ports.

I have to apologize for my outdated knowledge. It is around for two
years, and well-described in the handbook:-)

Thanks for correcting me.

Still, there are "real world" cases when the standard install is not good
enough. I do not run into them daily but they are not that rare either.

The last one, some days ago: A Dell desktop had USB keyboard problems. I
fixed it by compiling the USB2 kernel. It did not work with -STABLE and
-CURRENT's GENERIC kernel (with the "old" USB stack).

Regards
Peter