HEADS UP: imminent TCP ABC commit

From: Lawrence Stewart <lastewart_at_swin.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:16:54 +1100
Hi All,

Just a quick note to let you know that I plan to commit my TCP
appropriate byte counting (ABC) patch [1,2] to HEAD within the next two
days. This work has been sponsored by the FreeBSD Foundation [3] as part
of the "Enhancing the FreeBSD TCP Implementation" project [4].

I don't anticipate any nastiness, but let me know if you run into any
issues with your TCP workloads when running with the patch. The
behaviour will default to on when committed, so any new kernel built
after the commit will be using ABC by default.

Note that the patch changes the size of the tcpcb structure, thus you
will get ABI breakages with any utilities that rely on the size of the
tcpcb e.g. sockstat will error with "sockstat: struct xtcpcb size
mismatch". A rebuild/install of world will obviously solve the issue.
However, copying the patched tcp_var.h from /usr/src/sys/netinet to
/usr/include/netinet and selectively rebuilding these utilities as they
crop up should also solve the issue faster if you're impatient and
familiar with the src tree and make glue.

Cheers,
Lawrence

http://caia.swin.edu.au

[1]