Re: fstab type "dp"

From: Kostik Belousov <kostikbel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 23:23:55 +0200
On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 10:07:16PM +0100, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A year ago, I discussed with rwatson_at_ about having a new fs_type
> for dump devices.  I initially implemented it as "du" but I later
> noticed that NetBSD already has this feature as "dp".
>
> I'd like to get some review about this patch in the hope of getting this
> patch eventually committed.
>
> This patch contains:
> - New fs_type "dp" for dump devices, along with "sw" for swap devices.
> - dumpon(8) and savecore(8) updated accordingly.
> - New dumpon(8) option -a that implements the logic to automatically
>   select a correct dump devices by scanning fstab(5).   The logic is
>   backward compatible, that is if no "dp" entry is present, it will use
>   the first "sw" entry.  Also, etc/rc.d/dumpon has been modified to use
>   this new option.
> - New dumpon(8) option -f to force the use of a device not marked as
>   "dp" or "sw".  This is a bonus.
> - Manpages updated.
>
> Note that both dumpon(8) and savecore(8) required the fs_vfstype to be
> "swap" for "sw" devices for "XXX backward compatibility".  Despite this
> wasn't documented in the manpage, I didn't removed it and added "dump"
> as a valid fs_vfstype.  The fstab(5) manpage still doesn't mention them
> though.

What are the supposed advantages of this approach over the dumpdev
variable in rc.conf ? I see that having whole partition usage
configuration in fstab is natural, so the idea of the patch is
probably right. One the other hand, is it possible to enchance
this to allow specification of the swap partition that is also
a dump partition, in fstab ?