Re: fstab type "dp"

From: Max Laier <max_at_love2party.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 03:20:28 +0100
On Wednesday 14 January 2009 02:10:55 Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Dear Kostik,
>
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 11:23:55PM +0200, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > What are the supposed advantages of this approach over the dumpdev
> > variable in rc.conf ? I see that having whole partition usage
> > configuration in fstab is natural, so the idea of the patch is
> > probably right.
>
> This is exactly the point.  fstab(5) will describe every partition
> usage.
>
> >                 One the other hand, is it possible to enchance
> > this to allow specification of the swap partition that is also
> > a dump partition, in fstab ?
>
> Well, actually I think it makes more sense to automatically add "dp"
> device as swap.  You will find an updated patch attached where swapon(8)
> has been modified to implement this behaviour.  Is it better now?

I don't agree here.  The point of having a dedicated dump device could be to
not overwrite the state of the swap when dumping core.  In addition, a dump
device could double as a place for suspend to disk if/when we implement this -
in this scenario it would also be required that the dump device does not hold
valuable swap data.

--
/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier_at_freebsd.org
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/  | mlaier_at_EFnet