Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it become standard compiler?)

From: Dimitry Andric <dimitry_at_andric.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:13:42 +0100
On 2009-01-14 10:13, Michel Talon wrote:
> Apparently the FreeBSD project doesn't want to include any GPL V3 because
> there are industrial partners who have banned the GPl V3, out of purely
> ideological position, without any rational basis. I wonder why the FreeBSD
> project has any reason to follow them.

I think you are going a bit too far, if you say "purely ideological",
and "without any rational basis".  The GPL V3 *is* different from V2,
and anyone may have their own reasons for not agreeing with the diffs,
just as with source code patches. :)

That said, dependence on GNU gcc has always been bad, and it was always
due to show up sometime.  So now it does.  Hopefully there will be some
thought about alternatives.