Re: if_le unit number change?

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 17:02:19 -0500
On Tuesday 30 December 2008 12:21:35 pm David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 02:38:27PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > I tend to trim my /boot/device.hints to remove hints for devices that
> > aren't in my machines.  However, with 8.0, if you leave the bogus hints
> > around you won't be hurt and the device will stay as 'le1' so long as
> > you don't remove the 'le0' hints, so if you never edit your
> > /boot/device.hints it will just be called le1 forever.
>
> I dare say 99% of folks don't touch /boot/device.hints - and given this
> is somewhat of a regression for VMware using folks (and they cannot share
> /etc/rc.conf any longer), what should we do?
>
> 1. Comment out the hint - figuring it isn't really needed in 8.0?

It might be worth it to pair down the default device.hints a good bit to only
list PnPBIOS type devices (e.g. sio/uart, ppc, syscons, psm, atkbd) and not
list ISA cards.

> 2. Hack things so that 'le' is treated as before with the trip thru
>    acpi(4)?

That basically requires backing out the entire patch.  One of the fundamental
changes that the entire change relies on is that hints now reserve device
names.

--
John Baldwin