Re: Prblem whit USB in FreeBSD 8

From: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi_at_bsd.hu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:55:47 +0100
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 05:34:41PM +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2009-Jan-24 12:30:56 -0800, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> >I wonder if this situation can be handled automatically. To my ignorant
> >view, our USB mass storage driver can try sending "synchronize cache"
> >command and if that fails then failback to the NO_SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE
> >behavior.
>
> This has been discussed in the past.  The problem is that some drives
> lock up when you send a "synchronize cache" command so this isn't a
> general solution.

Exactly. The device in the previous mail (Meizu M6, but the same is true
for the M3 MusicCard from the same manufacturer btw which is what I
have) was a prime example of this behaviour: with the old usb stack, it
often locked up soon after it was connected without the quirk. (At other
times, it was "just" not possible to mount it) With the new stack and
without the quirk, the effects were even more spectacular when I tried
it once: the machine panicked soon after insertion. With the quirk, it
behaves well (and looks like a superfloppy) with both stacks.  It is a
pity btw that the chip/firmware they use is so crappy, because otherwise
this device is really open-source friendly, afaik even the firmware can
be upgraded on it without any windows-based flashing utility whatsoever.

--
Regards:

Szilveszter ADAM
Budapest