Re: Prblem whit USB in FreeBSD 8

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky_at_c2i.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:24:06 +0100
On Sunday 25 January 2009, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > On 2009-Jan-24 12:30:56 -0800, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax_at_freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> I wonder if this situation can be handled automatically. To my ignorant
> >> view, our USB mass storage driver can try sending "synchronize cache"
> >> command and if that fails then failback to the NO_SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE
> >> behavior.
> >
> > This has been discussed in the past.  The problem is that some drives
> > lock up when you send a "synchronize cache" command so this isn't a
> > general solution.
>
> So what? The drive that is not in the quirks won't work anyway, so that
> if by auto-detection you can make at least fraction of those drivers
> working out of the box it would be an improvement. I wonder how other
> operating systems (Windows, Linux) cope with this issue. Not sure about
> a Linux, but I really doubt Windows has anything like our quirks, yet
> all drives work with it.

Hi,

I was thinking about moving the mass storage quirks into the usb2_quirk module
so that they can be set by "usbconfig". To some extent I agree that we should
try to make things work out of the box. What I could easily do is to add a
sysctl which you can set that automatically turns on the most common Mass
Storage quirks for all USB Mass Storage Devices plugged. What do you think?

--HPS