Re: Help me select hardware and software options for very large ?server

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 18:18:39 +0100 (CET)
Terry Kennedy wrote:
 > [Aristedes Maniatis wrote:]
 > > [Terry Kennedy wrote:]
 > > >  I think this system may have the most storage ever configured on a
 > > > FreeBSD system, and it is probably up near the top in terms of CPU and
 > > > memory.
 > >
 > > I doubt it. 8 core systems are very common these days. I've seen
 > > benchmarking with anything up to 64 cores (which I believe is the
 > > current FreeBSD limit). As for memory, there was a recent thread with
 > > someone installing 64Gb also claiming theirs was the biggest, but
 > > others insisting that it certainly wasn't. As for storage, I know Sun
 > > sell systems into the petabyte range which I assume these days are
 > > powered by ZFS.
 > >
 > > The above is not to belittle your project; more to reassure you that
 > > you aren't anywhere near the limits and you should have no troubles if
 > > you tune things properly.
 >
 > Regarding storage, while there are other ZFS deployments (particularly
 > on Sun equipment) which are a lot larger, I haven't seen any discussion
 > of pools of this size on FreeBSD. And I have been keeping an eye on the
 > FreeBSD ZFS discussions. That isn't to say that nobody has one, but if
 > they do, they're keeping pretty quiet about it...

Well, I can tell you that your storage setup is _not_ the
largest ever configured on a FreeBSD system.  Sometimes
there are reasons why you cannot disclose details about
your (or your customers') setups.

Best regards
   Oliver

"C++ is the only current language making COBOL look good."
        -- Bertrand Meyer