Re: Backporting of Heimdal 1.1 to 7.*

From: Graham Todd <gtodd_at_bellanet.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:24:08 -0500
Gunnar Flygt wrote:
> Is there any possibility that heimdal 1.1 that works beautifully in
> Current will be backported to FreeBSD-7.x?

What if the port was updated to 1.1 to match base in CURRENT or to 1.2.1
for testing? :-)  Upstream heimdal is at 1.2.1 but I think there is some
pthread trickiness involved in getting it to compile (does anyone know
what is missing there?) For 1.1 you can change the values in the distinfo
and Makefile in the current port (which is at 1.0.1) and build a new 1.1
package to use on 7.*. The rc script from the version in ports could use
modernizing to make more use of rc.subr magic, but things seem to work.

If you use PAM with kerberos I think the pam_krb5 in base and in ports is
behind the upstream version as well. Russ Allbery maintains pam-krb5 at:
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/pam-krb5/ - it has some options that
could be useful for newer kerberos like: try_pkinit, etc. I don't know if
much testing of these various new bits has been done on FreeBSD. I believe
the pam_krb5 folks are working on some tools that will help people do
simple tests before upgrades and the like.

> Please CC me since I'm only subscribed to stable, not current.

I've cc'ed the maintainers of pam-krb5 and heimdal too :)