Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it becomestandard compiler?)

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 13:30:09 +1030
On Thursday 29 January 2009 12:49:46 Xin LI wrote:
> > The "eligible compilation process" is where you use GCC and GPL
> > compatible software.
> >
> > I think for the FreeBSD project that is fine.
>
> I agree, this term seems to be targeted to companies behind closed
> source optimizers.  Speaking for myself, I think FreeBSD would avoid
> GPLv3 code where possible to minimize the risk it would introduce to
> commercial users of our codebase, we want our code be used by as many
> people as possible to better exploit its value.

Seems like a fairly marginal case (speaking as someone who ships proprietary
software built by GCC running on FreeBSD).

I think for the compiler/tool chain GPLv3 is OK, but for example, in libraries
it would [very] bad.

Luckily I don't see that being a problem for FreeBSD :)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum