Re: Alternatives to gcc (was Re: gcc 4.3: when will it becomestandard compiler?)

From: Andrew Reilly <andrew-freebsd_at_areilly.bpc-users.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:28:34 +1100
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 07:09:50PM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:
> The FSF has not decided what to do about the runtime libraries.
> These are currently gplv2+link time exception.  In the future,
> the libraries may be gplv3 + some new link time exception.

The libraries in question are those for long long multiply and
other low-level code generation short-cuts, aren't they?  I
understodd that crt0.o and libc.a were both BSD on FreeBSD.

So, to the extent that we currently use the gcc/gpl+exception
libraries, is it a reasonable proposition to supply versions of
our own, or would they necessarily be a derivative work of GCC
simply because only gcc requires those particular runtime
libraries?

Cheers,

Andrew