Re: Xorg upgrade desaster: Xlib: extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".

From: Daniel Eischen <deischen_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 17:37:55 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009, O. Hartmann wrote:

> After upgrading one of my FreeBSD 8.0-CUR/amd64 boxes to new xorg-7.4
> and having done hurting recompiling nearly everything/package twice now
> firefox3 still doesn't work properly and hits me when starting with this
> error message:
>
> Xlib:  extension "Generic Event Extension" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> Then firefox3 freezes forever, showing something like the background or
> pixel remnants of windows/picograms moving over its window.
>
> I recompiled three times libxcb and its dependencies, two times
> Xlib/Xserver/xf86-input-* to be sure having compiled everything and then
> I recompiled everything again what's necessary to build Firefox3. No
> effect. I now recompile everything needed to build Xlib to get rid of
> the above shown error message because I suspect this causing my firefox3
> not working.
>
> On another box, also amd64, but FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE (SMP) I had to do the
> same procedure and firefox3 is working properly. Bot boxes do have ATI
> graphics (driver radeon).
>
> I also tried deleting my personal .mozille directory and started firefox
> from scratch. But after some download-save-requester opened (when trying
> to download a file from a location in the web) firefox freezes also
> eating up 100% cpu. In all cases Firefox3 can be killed.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Perhaps it's a little overkill, but what I usually do when I
perform upgrades like this, is to move /usr/local out of the
way (along with /var/db/pkg), and remove any X/KDE/QT stuff
in /tmp, /var/.., etc.  Then I install (portupdate -NR) everything
from scratch.  If something goes wrong, I just have to move the
original /usr/local back until I work out the problems.

--
DE