Re: Has anyone been able to actually boot the AMD64 kernel after r194958?

From: Paul Wootton <paul_at_fletchermoorland.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 16:24:49 +0100
Kamigishi Rei wrote:
> Pegasus Mc Cleaft wrote:
>>    I use ZFS Boot with a three-way mirror (A seperate GPT slice on
>> each of the drives) and the swap-space is spanned across 3 other
>> slices (one on each of the boot drives).  I think its giving me that
>> error because it never gets far enough in the boot to swapon those
>> slices before it panics. Another symptom of this is that it dosent
>> get far enough to clear the nextboot flag, so when it does go boom, I
>> have to manually tell it to boot from the working kernel (r194958).
> Well, then you won't be able to get a core, because by the time
> doadump starts the filesystem layer is already dead. The kernel just
> won't be able to save the dump to something as complicated as a
> 3-disk-span swap space - it can't even dump to a gmirror-based
> swapspace properly, you know ;)
>
> And if you're using ZFS boot, you probably have ZFS built into kernel
> so I'm not sure if booting without loading zfs.ko is possible as it's
> already inside...
>
> --
> Kamigishi Rei
> KREI-RIPE

I also have the same issue and have not been able to boot any kernels
from recent builds. I know that  r194437 works for me

I am also using ZFS on an intel Core2Quad

If I boot a recent kernel I get (copied on to paper and type retyped here)
------------------
Jul  1 15:55:30 demophon kernel: pcm3: <HDA Realtek ALC885 PCM #2
Digital> at cad 2 nid 1 on hdac1
Jul  1 15:55:30 demophon kernel: SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Jul  1 15:55:30 demophon kernel: SMP: AP CPU #3 Launched!
Jul  1 15:55:30 demophon kernel: SMP: AP CPU #2 Launched!
Jul  1 15:55:30 demophon kernel: hwpmc: TSC/1/

Fatal trap 30: reserved (unknown) fault while in kernel mode
cpuid = 3; apic id = 03
instruction pointer    = 0x20:0xffffffff808a547f
stack pointer             = 0x28:0xffffffff810618d0
frame pointer           = 2x28:0xffffffff810618f0
code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                 = DPL 0, pres 1, long 1, def32 0, gran 1
processor eflags      = interput enable, IOPL=0
current process       = 0 (swapper)
trap number            = 30
panic: reserved (unkown) fault
cpuid 3
Uptime: 1s
------------------

Every time I try a kernel it always bombs out with cpuid 3 but the hwpmc
line can be anywhere between "hwpmc: TSC/1" and "hwpmc:
TSC/1/64/0x20<REA> IAP/2/40/0x"

I cant even start in to single user mode (get the same error as above.)

If I try to boot with ACPI disabled I get

---------------------
Trying to mount root from zfs:zfsroot/root
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:

If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and try the following from
the loader prompt:

       set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove the invalid options from /etc/fstab

Loader varaibles
vfs.root.mountfrom="zfs:zfsroot/zfsroot"
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=

Manual root filesystem specification:
eg. ufs:da0s1a
? List valid disk boot devices
<empty line> Abort manual input

mountroot>

Paul

Fletcher Moorland Limited is a company registered in England and Wales.
Registration number: 2984467.
Registered office: Elenora Street, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire, ST4 1QG.
VAT Registration number: 478730606
Telephone: 01782 411021 | Fax: 01782 744470 | http://www.fletchermoorland.co.uk