Re: Has anyone been able to actually boot the AMD64 kernel after r194958?

From: Pegasus Mc Cleaft <ken_at_mthelicon.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:36:03 +0100
On Thursday 02 July 2009 15:50:31 Paul Wootton wrote:

> With you saying this, I decided to try GENERIC kernel configuration and
> that builds and runs just fine. I suspect that Peg and myself have
> something in our kernel conf files that is causing an issue. I'll have a
> go later on and see if I can narrow it down a little bit more
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

	I think I may have tracked down the trigger, although I dont know how to pin-
point the cause.

	It looks like compiling in the radeondrm driver into the kernel is the
culprit. if I omit that line from my kernel config, the latest kernels will
compile and boot properly on my machine.  I'm using a R7xx (but it load the
R6xx code) radeon HD card. From talking to you, I know you are using a proper
R6xx card.

	Strangely I can kldload the driver after the machine has booted and all is
well, it just seems to hate being compiled into the kernel.

	Can you see if this is the same on your machine?

Peg