RFC: ATA to CAM integration patch (and gjournaled previuos nodes)

From: b. f. <bf1783_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 08:48:32 +0000
Alexander Motin wrote:
>Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

>> I have a gournaled FS whoch lists it's consumer as ad12p6

>You mean gjournal has provider names hardcoded to it's meta data? It
>could be a problem. If it detects it's parts freely, then it should not
>notice the change.

I just changed provider names for a gjournal'ed disk when my disks
were reordered, and with the proper corresponding changes to fstab,
there were no problems -- everything was mounted and loaded upon
reboot without me having to make any other changes.  However, if you
used the "-h" option with "gjournal label" you may have to manually
relabel.

>> Otherwise I only use labels (ufs) for quiet some time, so I thought
>> testing would be painless...
>> Can I safely remove glabel from the unmounted fs and relabel the new
>> device?

>I don't very understand whet you mean by "safe"? Safe for what?

He means, can he relabel the disks without losing any data on them?

I think that the answer is yes, provided he doesn't do anything
foolish --  like relabel an existing file system with journal and data
on the same provider, while increasing the size of the journal, which
would cause all data on the space allocated to the new journal to be
lost.  He may have to use the "-f" flag with "gjournal label", or
issue "gjournal clear" before relabeling, and he may lose the last
sector of the file system and anything on the journal, but that
usually isn't of any consequence.  In any event, unless he hardcoded
his provider names, this probably isn't necessary.  If it does prove
to be necessary, it would be wise to back up any data just to be safe,
and to experiment on a test provider first, before trying to relabel.

b.