Re: Fatal trap 9 on -BETA1 on boot "with ACPI disabled" or "Safe Mode":

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 11:50:40 +0100
On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 02:54 -0300, Gonzalo Nemmi wrote:
> Can reproduce it on -CURRENT-200906 and -BETA1 whenever I try to boot "with
> ACPI disabled" or "Safe Mode":
>
> Fatal trap 9: general protection fault while in kernel mode
> cpuid = 0; acpic id = 00
> instruction pointer        = 0x70:0xbfe4
> stack pointer            = 0x28:0xfa4
> frame pointer            = 0x28:0xfd4
> code segment            = base 0xc00f0000, limit 0xffff, type 0x1b
>                 = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 0, gran 0
> processor eflags        = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
> current process            = 0 (swapper)
> [thread pid 0 tid 100000 ]
> Stopped at      0xbfe4: *** error reading from address bfe4 ***
> db> bt
> Tracing pid 0 tid 100000 td 0x0da9b50
> uart_z8530_class(780001,0,b0202,ffe,0,...) at 0xbfe4
> db>

This may well be a known problem that has affected certain Intel
motherboards since around 5.x.  Although this problem may well be
solvable, perhaps the better approach is to fix whatever is stopping you
from booting with ACPI enabled?

If for some reason you cannot have ACPI enabled, I guess knowing more
output than the above would be useful.  For example, when booting
verbose and with ACPI disabled, what lines are printed before the above?

(to do this, break to the loader prompt, and:

setenv hint.acpi.0.disabled=1
setenv hint.apic.0.disabled=1
boot -v

it's also worth trying just with the first one to just disable ACPI,
then just trying the APIC option, to see which of those two are causing
you problems)

By the way, is this i386 or amd64?

Gavin