Process stuck in vmmaps on 8.0-BETA1

From: John Marshall <john.marshall_at_riverwillow.com.au>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 16:05:56 +1000
I haven't been following this list at all and have not been playing with
-CURRENT systems.  I have source-upgraded an i386 test server from
7.2-RELEASE-p2 to 8.0-BETA1 because I want to help with making the next
-STABLE release as stable as possible.  I have posted a couple of other
reports to -stable but it has been suggested to me that -current is a
more appropriate list?

  - 8.0-BETA1 GSSAPI/sshd problem
    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-July/051061.html

  - 8.0-BETA1 mergemaster/ntp.conf problems
    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2009-July/051074.html

So,...

8.0-BETA1 VMMAPS PROBLEM

After upgrading...
 - boot new kernel to single-user
 - make installworld
 - make delete-old
 - make delete-old-libs
 - mergemaster
 - reboot

I re-built a few of my applications.  I noticed a problem with ntpd
4.2.4p7.  The build was fine, it started fine, but got stuck in vmmaps
and I couldn't kill it.  Stopping the operating system appears to be the
only remedy.  I have re-built a few times (starting with 'make
distclean') just to make sure.

  UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ   RSS MWCHAN STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
    0   791     1   0  44  0  4944  4920 vmmaps Ds    ??    0:00.01 ntpd

I have not come across this before.  This ntpd distribution builds and
runs happily on earler versions (6.n and 7.n) of FreeBSD.

You folks have obviously got ntpd 4.2.4p5 running happily in the base
system.  I have looked at the configure.h in /usr/src/usr.sbin/ntp and
it is identical to the corresponding file in 7.2-RELEASE (apart from
version ID).  Any ideas as to what may be wrong with:

  ./configure	--disable-debugging \
		--disable-all-clocks \
		--disable-parse-clocks \
		--disable-linuxcaps \
		--without-sntp \
		CFLAGS='-O -pipe -march=pentium4'
  make
  make install

and why that has served me well until 8.0-BETA1?  If I build ntpd
4.2.4p5 as above on 8.0-BETA1 I have the same (vmmaps) problem.

The ntpd 4.2.4p5 from the base system runs fine.

Thank you.

--
John Marshall