Re: buildworld panic on ia64

From: Anton Shterenlikht <mexas_at_bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:50:15 +0100
On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 09:19:33AM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2009, at 4:40 AM, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>
> >> BTW: I never got the error when doing a buildworld. I
> >> think Anton's non-standard compiler options make GCC much
> >> more FP intensive and thus prone to causing the race.
> >
> > hey, my compiler options are just a copy from
> > 	/usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
> >
> > with obvious changes, e.g. CPUTYPE=itanium2
> > The CFLAGS, COPTFLAGS, CXXFLAGS are as in the example make.conf.
> >
> > Which non-standard options did you spot?
>
> All of them :-)
>
> There is no /etc/make.conf by default, so the existence
> of /etc/make.conf with CFLAGS, COPTFLAGS, etc makes them
> non-standard.
>
> As a special warning: /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf
> is inherently i386 biases (like most of the examples and
> documentation I might add). It's unwise to copy flags
> from there and expect good results. Even warnings-only
> examples can cause build breakages (due to -Werror),
> because compilers for different architectures emit
> different warnings or emit the same warning at different
> times.
>
> By all means: experiment. But be very careful not to make
> the assumption that if the code compiles, it'll also run.
> The weirder the set of compiler options, the more likely
> you trip over optimization bugs and end up with an unstable
> system. And I'm not even talking about whether the set
> of options give you more optimal code in general.

I see..

Is there any advice for compiler options on ia64?
Perhaps a sample make.conf for ia64?
Or would you recommend leaving these options empty:
	CFLAGS, COPTFLAGS, CXXFLAGS ?

I'm sorry if I'm asking obvious questions.
Perhaps this is documented/disucced somewhere
already? I'm new to ia64, most of my FBSD
experience is from alpha and i386.

many thanks

--
Anton Shterenlikht