Re: About iwn firmware

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 11:55:16 -0700
kevin wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 1:18 AM, Sam Leffler <sam_at_freebsd.org
> <mailto:sam_at_freebsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     kevin wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>           I notice iwn's firmware hasn't been updated for a long
>         time.Is there any
>         plan to import newer version iwn firmware ? current version is
>         iwlwifi-4965-ucode-4.44.17 in the source tree, while latest
>         version is
>         iwlwifi-4965-ucode-228.61.2.24.
>
>         http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=downloads&f=ucodes_4965
>         <http://www.intellinuxwireless.org/?n=downloads&f=ucodes_4965>
>

>     Not sure why you want newer firmware.  If it's for newer chip
>     support then that requires driver changes and is non-trivial.
>
>       Sam
>
> iwn driver works well when system up.but it is not so robust.it
> <http://robust.it> will stop transfer data and throw some errors in
> these conditions:
> 1 . mount nfs via wireless network,if i transfer a lot of data.it
> <http://data.it> may stop receiving data after some time.
> 2 . wireless network is busy, then some one reboot the wireless AP.it
> may throw some errors and stop working.
> 3 . Find wireless network works slow and switch to Ethernet,.if  try
> /etc/rc.d/netif restart, it may throw some errors and stop working.
>

> all these are fixed by reboot system(reload iwn and iwnfw  dose not
> work at most time). i also find iwn driver printe a lot of microcode
> error related messages when it failed(not easy to reproduce it).
>
> No official Change Log, i just notice the *description *in gentoo
> bug#202818.

I don't see any of the above issues  w/ the 4965 card I have but I don't
use it often.  Given how little information you've provided it's
unlikely anyone can help you diagnose your problems and even less likely
changing the fw would matter.  If you want to pursue these problems I
suggest you file a PR with details but to be honest I'm not aware of
anyone actively working on the driver.

    Sam