Re: FreeBSD 8.0-BETA1 Available

From: Rene Schickbauer <cavac_at_magicbooks.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:52:43 +0200 (CEST)

> The first public test build of the FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE test cycle is now
> available, 8.0-BETA1.

Thaaaank you all!

That is really wonderfull news!

> People with the resources to do so (test machines...) are encouraged to
> give 8.0-BETA1 a try.

Works on my EEE PC 901 on the secondary drive (32 Gig / Patriot) quite
nicely. So good in fact, that i didn't bother to re-install windows as a
backup system this time after the little snag i hit last week, see relevant
blog entries:
<http://www.magicbooks.org/cms/index.php?catid=12&blogid=1>

In a few weeks time i'll probably get hold of a HP 16 core Intel 8-16 Gig
Ram Server with 4 SAS Raid-1 Arrays for probably a few months for testing. I
might be able to "accidently" install Beta1 or Beta2 on it (my company is
big on windows..).

> Debugging support (WITNESS, malloc debugging, etc.) are also still
> turned on and those tend to cause a performance hit.

As my EEE PC is currently somewhat slow on compiling... How much would i
gain from turning these off? Or would this be a rather bad idea at the
moment?

> As far as we know
> there are no known issues that would cause data corruption or anything
> like that, just the issues with performance and potential for changes
> caused by ongoing work.

There *may* be a bug in sysinstall (called from the running system) in
trying to configure an ex-windows partition as a second disk slice. But this
time i'm not going to test it until *after* i backed up my system, which
will be sometime next week...

> 	8.0-BETA1-<arch>-memstick.img
>
> If you copy that to a USB memory stick newer machines should be able to
> boot from it and use it to install from.

My prayers have been heard! No more use-once-pollute-earth-forever plastic
disks! Thank you, thank you thank you!

LLAP & LG
Rene

--