Re: Unrecoverable UFS error but only with gmirror

From: Bernd Walter <ticso_at_cicely7.cicely.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 17:47:24 +0200
On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 03:39:37PM +0200, Stefan Bethke wrote:
> Am 11.07.2009 um 15:30 schrieb Bernd Walter:
>
> >On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 02:54:01PM +0200, Stefan Bethke wrote:
> >>gmirror and/or ufs got into an odd state after a panic, where fsck
> >>could not fix errors on the mirror device, but each member filesystem
> >>was fine.  Even after destroying the mirror, fixing all three member
> >>file systems with fsck, and recreating the mirror with just a single
> >>member fsck found the same errors on the mirror device.
> >
> >You've created the partitions without mirror?
> >The member drives are one block larger than the mirrored and if the
> >filesystem tries to use it under mirror it will fail.
> >The easiest way to avoid is to create the gmirror and then setup
> >your partitions on the mirror.
>
> No, I've newfs'ed the mirror device, not the disk partitions, so that
> shouldn't be the problem.  Unless gmirror fails to subtract the
> metadata sector from the mirror device.

I see - normally this should work fine then.
But you get read problem and I asume you wouldn't ask if you also see
hardware errors.
So this is likely accessing a block, which is not part of the volume.
Of course a bad UFS metadata can point to non existing data as well.
I would still verify the sizes - is the block far out of volume range,
or just a bit?
Is the underlying paritioning Ok?

--
B.Walter <bernd_at_bwct.de> http://www.bwct.de