setting up wlan with vap - wlan0 doesn't appear

From: Gravisman <gravisman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 17:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
I just got an iogear usb wireless adapter to add to my machine which
previously only ran a wired interface. After poking around I now see that
wireless setup works significantly different in CURRENT than it did in
previous releases. I haven't found too terribly much on google, but the
basic idea seems to be that I have to setup a wlans interface in rc.conf.
So, the following is what I added to rc.conf, which is consistent with the
examples I've found, including the one in /usr/src/UPDATING.

wlans_zyd0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"

I see zyd0 interface in ifconfig, but even with these lines added to
rc.conf, I'm not getting any wlan0 interface, and I can't list scanned
networks on zyd0. Any idea what I'm missing?