Re: Disk devices changed after upgrade to current

From: Alson van der Meulen <alson+ml_at_alm.flutnet.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:04:56 +0200
* Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.current_at_mailing.thruhere.net> [2009-07-13 07:43]:
> Nowhere up there I'm saying to use ufsid's:
> [...]
> I made these labels under 7.1-STABLE then cross-installed on the second slice.
> glabel is in GENERIC for a while now (7.1-RELEASE?), so it's something you can
> use without problems and they even work on livefs cd's.

Yep, glabel works fine. As far as I know, glabel stores its information
in the last sector, and makes the provider a sector smaller. This means
that you can't add it to an existing filesystemi without risking
corruption. Using an ufsid requires figuring out the id from dmesg and
editting fstab, to start using glabel you have to enter single user
mode, dump, glabel, newfs, restore, edit fstab. I'm not aware of any
sysinstall support for glabels either, so even for new installs it
requires booting with a livefs and manual partitioning.

Alson